Monday 13 February 2012

Happy horse is back...

Today, after a week of overnight temperatures around -12°C, it was a wee bit milder, more like a normal winter's day; and Lucie was waiting for me at the gate this morning, ears pricked. So was it the cold that was making her grouchy? It seems that horses get very tired keeping warm in very cold weather and this was the reason she hadn't wanted to leave the field the last few days. She was completly different this morning. She greeted me with interest, was playful, and when I stood by the gate, she came over and gave her head for the halter. Quite the opposite of her behaviour earlier in the week.

Once out of the gate, she was full of beans, head up, ears pricked and as we went for a walk, she was prancing and playful. At one point, in a patch of clean soft snow, it was obvious she wanted to roll so I stood back and let her; she was really enjoying herself. Sometimes a bit too much and I had to shut her down and remind her I was there, but she took it as it was meant, without offence. I found her some patches of green grass as recompense, being sure to move her on at my pace, which she did willingly.

It was lovely to have her so enthusiastic and playful; I hope it lasts! I am much more comfortable in dealing with the horse that showed up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment