Tuesday 30 July 2013

Back to the way we were

It seems as if Lucie has been back - forever; meaning that we have settled down, our little herd of three, and all of us are content, as if there had been no upheaval. The experience has been educational for us all. I have found my two perfect horses. For Lucie, I think living among a bigger group of horses & experiencing life in a herd for 3 months has been good for her; she seems more mature somehow, and more relaxed and confident with both me & Seraphina. The places she stands in the field have changed, she is less on high alert, more laid back. With Fina, she is just as dominant (for want of another word) but more assured about it, less cranky; and Fina knows and understands this, accepts and doesn't question (I am watching & learning). For Fina, she is evidently happier with Lucie around than paired with Tayenne, as we had already learned, so nothing has changed in this relationship, unless for the better. The two stand nose to tail, keeping the flies off, and if anything are closer companions in the field than before.

I have to be a bit careful when I am around them, as Lucie becomes "jealous" and protective of her proximity to me, and my attentions; one day Fina did carelessly place herself where Lucie didn't think she should be, and she flew at Fina and took her by the neck! I think I was more shocked than Fina, who just shook herself, and took a step back; it was over in seconds, although the teeth mark is still there. I guess Lucie learned a few new moves while she was among other horses.

Lucie is very connected to me; for the first few days when she was home, if she heard me come out of the house, she'd whinny; and if she sees me, her head comes up to watch what I'm doing or where I go. Fina does this too, but to a lesser extent. Lucie's comportment says she's home and she's my horse and is happy. Similar but different with Seraphina, but then she's only been here a few months. What I'd like from Fina now is some of Lucie's softness; zero brace when I'm handling her, and more connection. When Lucie gives me her feet, they are soft & light as a feather; when I ask her to move I barely need to look at her. It's almost as if having another horse around has made her up her game, it's like she's saying "this is how you should behave with your human" or "look how well I do it & how pleased she is". She's become a proper little teacher's pet and I'll take the improvement in Lucie's attitude anyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment