Monday 1 April 2013

March update and videos



I was away for a week in the UK and before that it was wetwetwet so am keen to spend some time with the girls.

On Friday, my first day back, I got them out for a fuss and a groom. Lucie was very pleased to see me and immediately gave me her head for a good ear scratch. However I felt Fina was a bit indifferent and when I asked for her feet there was a lot of tension there and she kept snatching them back which I felt might be part of a lack of connection following my absence. The week-end had to be devoted to him indoors and jobs so it was Monday before I had more time for the horses and a chance to set things right with Fina. I played with her on line, asking her to go touch things, trying to set her some little puzzles with objects and she soon got interested. It can be so annoying when they will only think about grass then so rewarding when they get involved with your ideas and give their attention to you. Afterwards, when I took the halter off in the field she didn't rush off but stayed close and was really relaxed and I felt we were back where we wanted to be. I love to see that she follows me with her look when I walk away from her in the videos.

Yesterday the sun was shining again and I managed to set the camera up to video a bit of our messing about in the field and roundpen. With Fina, I am playing with direction and circling game. The circling game develops responsibility in the horse; its responsibility is to maintain gait and direction until you ask for a change. The human's responsibilty is to remain in neutral having given direction and only to correct or encourage if necessary, not to micromanage. With Fina, I am constructing the parts of this and she is asking what it is I want her to do; I'm sending her back, away from me, so I have room to give her direction to send her on the circle. I am using different ways to back her up to see her reactions. I only bring up the stick to put some rythmic pressure in the air behind her if I feel she needs a reason to move her feet. I'm trying not to rush her, let her work it out and offer me something. Once she moves off, I want to leave her alone, until she needs more help to understand what I want her to do. If she is unsure, or comes in or stops, I'll reassure her and set it up again. Trying to build from a few steps in the right direction, to a full circle, which is about where we are. I'll bet tomorrow she'll have cracked it and go two circles without stopping. And so on. Once we have the circles going I can start to make it more interesting, with obstacles, changes of direction and pace, longer lines and moving circles (outside the round pen), control at distance.

Fina isn't looking very happy about it because she doesn't quite know what is wanted, she is very hesitant and looking outward on the circle, but what I like is that she's trying, giving it a go; I have her attention, she's not trying to eat or leave or go to Lucie. I love the way Fina learns and shows an interest in learning and in giving my suggestions her consideration. Lucie would rather not try, if you put her under pressure to do something she looks like you're really making her; even with catching her, if you rush her or reach for her too soon, she's gone; if you let her think it's her idea she's fine so I look for when she's ready and present the halter. She's a very playful horse but feels pressure easily and takes offence. She needs to think it's her idea. Fina is slower to react and doesn't over-react, she thinks before moving her feet in a learning situation. Interestingly, Lucie is much more laid back now Fina is around.

Then I played with Lucie to compare; Lucie understands the circling but doesn't see the point, what's in for her; that's been difficult because of her leg injury, I can't push her & can never be sure if her objections are pain-related, can't rather than won't. She is still trying to block me but there is air between us on the turns. It's a bit untidy, but we do have good communication and understanding. I know I am too intense sometimes and not firm or clear enough other times. Lucie prefers to be close and is not confident at distance; she comes to me readily here because if she's on top of me I can't ask her to do anything.

Afterwards I tacked up and we went for a hack; they needed to get out and were quite jumpy at first, I had a bumpy ride until they settled, especially when a jogger appeared rather suddenly - ropes and horses flying everywhere! I was happy to find that when I checked feet when back, Fina gave them happily and was like putty in my hands, so it was definitely a temporary lack of confidence in me earlier and I felt I had earned it back.

Sending into the roundpen: http://youtu.be/aJE5obcB4WE
Funny bit with Lucie not staying put while I turn off the video (Fina's gone off to eat but Lucie can never resist an open gate) http://youtu.be/fRtXfVNxV8c
Playing with ropes and assessing feel with Fina http://youtu.be/n8bt8F2J60s
Circling game with Fina; first steps: http://youtu.be/hfhic36IXpA
With Lucie, seeing where we're at: circling and stick-to-me http://youtu.be/1SJqVMYbyfI

No comments:

Post a Comment